Wednesday 1 January 2014

In God alone



My soul finds rest in God alone;
my salvation comes from him.
                                                                                                     Psalm 62.1


The NIV footnote to Ps. 6.3 (p. 791) defines soul as the very self as a living, conscious, personal being. Another way of reading this present verse could be: My whole being, all of me, finds its rest only in God, nowhere else. He is my everything.

Psalm 62 has long been a favourite of mine. It gives me a great assurance of God’s love and faithfulness. This is my maker, the greatest force and power of all. He loves me, and He is there for me – at all times. Verse 2 describes Him as my rock. Not only is this solid (He is a rock) and comforting, it is also deeply personal (He is my rock), which increases the comfort it gives me. This is the rock on which I stand, and it comes from the being in whom I can place my utmost trust.

The rest that I need is available to me at any time. The joy of my relationship with God is that no appointments are necessary. I will ‘find’ Him every time – every single time – that I reach out to Him.

Strength and care, love and faithfulness emanate from my seeing of God as my rock and my rest. In Him I can shelter. In Him I can move forward.






Lord God,

I thank You for a new day. I rejoice in the time ahead. As I rest in You, I ask You to lead me on. Resting in You does not necessitate bringing life to a full stop. I can rest in You as I go. Indeed, my desire is to spend my whole life resting in You. You are the breath that I wake to each day. You are the wind in my sails throughout the day. You are the pillow I rest on as I come to sleep at night. All I experience, I seek to experience in You.

Fill me now with Your strength and peace. Let us do amazing things together. May we enjoy each other as we go. I ask these things in Jesus’ Name.                                                   Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment