Sunday 19 January 2014

Devoted



Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful.           Col. 4.2


Again I’ve gone back to the Greek for further insight to this verse. The Greek verb προσέχω (prosecho) means to pay close attention to, to hold on to, to give oneself to. In 1 Timothy 3.8 it is translated as ‘to be addicted to’. I like this one, and will adopt it for reflection here. I will be addicted to prayer.

Sadly, today, we hear much about people’s struggles with alcohol and drug addictions. An addiction is something it is most difficult, and in some cases impossible, to cure. In a positive application I’d like this to be the way with prayer. I want to be totally addicted to prayer, to conversation and dialogue with God. I want it to be impossible a habit to break. I want it such that I can’t live without it.

The word watchful comes, I think, from the Greek word γρηγορέω (gregoreo) which means ‘be or keep awake, watch, be alert, be alive.’ Certainly I need to keep awake as I pray, but I also need to keep myself alert to anything that God might have to say to me. And my prayer needs to be alive and, further, to fill me with life.

I would not have thought ‘thankful’ should need further explanation but I looked it up anyway and I’m delighted to see that it is ευχαρίστία (eucharistia) which, of course, is where we get the English word Eucharist. This is a further reminder to me that, as I pray, I join in holy communion with my gracious God and Father.






Lord God,

My prayer is to ask You for an addiction. I pray that You will lead me into an addiction of prayer. May I be totally sold out to exquisite connection with You through the wonderful power of prayer.

Let me be ever watchful in prayer and alert to anything You may wish to show me.

Draw me to You in sweetest communion as I express my thanks to You for all that You are and all that You do in and for me.

Lead me now through this day to Your praise and glory. I n Jesus’ Name I ask.             Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment