Saturday 25 January 2014

This Treasure



But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us.                      2 Cor. 4.7


The “treasure” I believe Paul is talking about is contained in the preceding paragraph...the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God. This is powerful in itself. Jesus is the very image of God. He came to earth and walked among us. He lived with us and imparted the gospel and its divine glory to us. He still does this today through the presence and working of the Holy Spirit. I have met this Jesus. Furthermore, He is in me. He lives in me. He gives me life. He leads me in and through life.

Yet, I am still a jar of clay. This term sounds most uninteresting, banal, dowdy and really, really dull. But there is a surprise within. And the inner surprise needs to be released. It is significant to me that Paul writes of the light of the gospel, and the glory of Christ. Jesus Himself cautioned us not to hide the light. It is to be set on a stand to illuminate all it touches, and not hidden where it cannot be effective. Jesus said, “Let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise you Father in heaven.”






Lord God,

My first act is one of thanksgiving. I thank you for the light You have given me. You have graciously blessed me with the light of the gospel of glory. You have connected me with my Lord Jesus. I thank You and pray, indeed, for the fullest connection.

I thank you also that I am a jar of clay, and may I remain so as long as I am on this earth. This way, the light that shines in me will be Your light, and not my own.

Precious Father, may Your light continue to shine in me – long, bright and effectively. Fill me with Your light. Lead me to shine it forth in every place I go. I ask this in Jesus’ name.
                                                                                                                                    Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment