Sunday 29 December 2013

Attitude



Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus.            Phil. 2.5


What a challenge I receive from these words of Paul!  The Bible has spoken this forth for many years, but I wonder how many have picked up on the breath-taking challenge and, indeed, how many – or how few – have accepted this challenge and sought to pursue in themselves a Christ-like attitude.

I have carefully chosen the word ‘pursue’ to describe what I mean here. I don’t think humans can fully ‘cultivate’ a Christ-like attitude for it takes more than our individual feeble effort.

If I am to aim for an attitude the same as that of Christ Jesus, I know beyond any doubt whatsoever that I need God’s input. I offer myself. I certainly don’t stand back and do nothing.

There are things I can do, like developing good character traits. But I also need His huge input. Hopefully we may work in partnership. I am willing. I cry out to God for His help.






Lord God,

I cry out to You. I am in hot pursuit. I want more of You. I seek the same attitude as that of my Lord Jesus. I know this is a big ask and I do not come to You out of egotistical vanity. I am totally undeserving. This is not about me but about You.

You are everything to me. I want to do only what is in Your plan for me. I want to be Your son, Your beloved child. I seek to please You in who I am and what I do.

Help me please. Show me what I should do to develop a Christ-like attitude. Lead me and mould me in Your ways and into the shape of Christ. He said, “Follow me.” I do, and I ask for Your help and enabling, in Jesus’ Name.                                                      Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment