Wednesday 11 December 2013

Called by God



Paul – an apostle – sent not from men nor by man, but by Jesus Christ and God the Father, who raised him from the dead.                      Gal.  1.1


Paul was called by God. His remarkable, miraculous experience on the road to Damascus shows beyond any doubt whatsoever that his calling was divine. He can truly say that his appointment was not made by men. He was sent, not by the church or religious authorities of the day, but by God Himself – Jesus and the Father.

He tells the Galatians that the message he preached was also from God, received by revelation from Jesus Christ. He accounts also for his actions:

“I did not consult any man, nor did I go up to Jerusalem to see those who were apostles before I was, but I went immediately into Arabia and later returned to Damascus.”

It seems to me that Paul was clearly called, and sent, by God. He received his message from God and he went where God led or sent him. This latter is borne out in the book of Acts when, in obedience to the Holy Spirit, they passed by Mysia and went down to Troas. On God’s further leading Paul and his team responded to a visionary call to Macedonia, “concluding that God had called us to preach the gospel to them” (Acts 16.7-10).

As I reflect on these aspects of Paul it is clear to me that this is the only way I want to go. If I am called or sent to a mission, it must be in obedience to God and not in response to any purely human suggestion. The message that I share must be God’s. I need to be open to going wherever He may choose to send me. And I am to go willingly. I am not Paul yet, like him, I am a child of God who God himself has taken hold of and turned the right way round. Paul’s response was one of helpless devotion to God. Yes, I truly believe that Paul was so captivated by Jesus that he literally couldn’t help himself but live totally for Christ. May I do likewise!






Lord God,

I find such inspiration in Your servant Paul. As I further study his life and ministry, I ask You to speak to me and make clear to me any call, message and destinations You may have for me. I know I am not Paul. I would not wish to be. For I am me, and I have been purposely and purposefully made by You.

I pray that You have anointed me to minister for You. I would desire this, but I leave it with You. If it is Your will, I hope to be available and obedient. But, for me, what is important is that I live in a way that is pleasing to You. I yearn to delight You. I believe I was created for fellowship and relationship with You and also with Your people. I see my purpose on this earth to witness that relationship in who I am and what I do. I’m available and I want to be a delight and pleasing to You. I love you.                                                                             Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment