Tuesday 17 December 2013

God of the backward moving sun



 ‘This is the LORD’s sign to you that the LORD will do what he has promised: I will make the shadow cast by the sun go back the ten steps it has gone down on the stairway of Ahaz.’  So the sunlight went back the ten steps it had gone down.                                    Isaiah 38. 7, 8


Who could do such an unbelievable thing as to make the sun retrace its course? Surely only the greatest force and power of all! Here I see positive, practical and real proof of Jesus’ confession through the gospel writers that nothing is impossible with God (Matt. 19.26; Mark 10.27; Luke 18.27). I make two points here. Firstly, let’s break down the word ‘nothing’ into its constituent syllables: no thing. There is no thing whatsoever that is impossible to God. Secondly, I believe God well and truly wants us to receive, understand, believe and live in this truth, for He gets all three synoptic writers to bring it to us.

A further insight from Isaiah’s writing is the sign that God gave to Hezekiah through the prophet. He told Hezekiah clearly what He would do. Sometimes God has spoken to me of what He might do – and I have doubted. I have been unsure. I realise now that what I’ve really been saying is, “Did God really say...?” (c.f Gen. 3.1). Shame on me! I am echoing the very words of Satan to the woman in the Garden of Eden. I sense God is speaking to me as I write this. I think He’s saying:

“My Boy, when a word is given to you as mine, then I want you to receive it as from me. Take it in and believe it, but hold on to it lightly. Remember, if it is indeed true, it is my word and not yours. And if it is not a genuine word from me, then I will bring correction. I will not allow you to live or labour under a misconception. My word is truth. If you receive it, then believe it. And if it is not from me then I will cause it to wither and die. I remind you also that, whilst I may give you words of hope and encouragement, possibly of future direction and destiny, I do not give you the timetable. The timing is mine. I insist that you rest in this. It is imperative that you trust me, and that you go forward with the fullness of my peace in you. Only in this way can you be my instrument. Believe me, and believe in the words that I give you.”




Lord God,

Please forgive me for any doubt or questioning I may ever have held in respect of words I have been given. I thank You for the assurance that You will correct any word that is not genuine. I also hold on lightly to the words received for, as You say, they are Your words. Your ownership is in them and only You can bring them to pass. I feel great peace and security in this. I thank You.

Holy Lord, I am reminded yet again that nothing is impossible to You. I rejoice in this. You are capable of anything and, as I am willing and You ordain, so I can do anything through You. Lead me on, please. I give myself anew to You. May we travel the day together, sharing all manner of adventure. I love You and seek a closer place with You. May I also share and spread this love as I go. I ask these things in Jesus’ Name.                                              Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment