Sunday 22 December 2013

Others



Each of you should look not to your own interests, but also to the interests of others.                                  Phil. 2.4


This verse reminds me of Jesus’ second command, to love your neighbour as yourself. It is first necessary ‘to love yourself’. This is not narcissism but rather a healthy self-respect, esteem and worth. When we have this attitude toward ourselves we are then able to reach out to others in good and Godly balance. We are fitted to be most effective in our witness and assistance to them.

I hear Paul say something similar here. He does not tell us to ignore our own interests. On the contrary, by the way in which he states his point, I sense he is saying “By all means look after your own interests. But also be available to others. Consider them. Help and advise them where you can. Do not ignore others by putting yourself first. Indeed, consider them before you think of yourself.”

This is God’s way. This is the way so ably demonstrated by Jesus. And He said, “Follow me.”

Lord Jesus I come.






Lord God,

I am reminded that Jesus looked on everyone with compassion. I want to follow Him in this. Fit me, please, to look on all with compassion. Further, let me see people as You see them. May I see the beauty that You see in people. May I also see their hurts and weaknesses as You do. And may I be empowered and strengthened by Your Holy Spirit to reach out, in  You, to those whom You send to me.

May I, humbly and respectfully, ask for Your heart to touch me, to connect with my heart.
O heavenly Father, would You share Your heart with me for the lost, the hurting and the wounded? Show me, and lead me in the way in which I can best be of service to them.

I love You and I love so many of Your people. I pray that You will bring me into contact with even more, and fit me, by Your grace, to be as Jesus to them. I ask this in the name of Jesus, my precious Lord and Saviour.                                                                                      Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment