Friday 20 December 2013

God, silent but present



Your eyes are too pure to look on evil; you cannot tolerate wrong.
Why then do you tolerate the treacherous?
Why are you silent while the wicked swallow up those more righteous than themselves?
      
    Hab.  1.13


This verse presents an interesting contrast which could almost be seen as conflicting. Habakkuk rightly describes God. His righteousness simply does not allow Him to look on evil or tolerate wrong. Yet He allows the wicked, the unrighteous, to attack and prevail over those who are more righteous than them. I note some caution here in Habakkuk’s choice of words. He knows God’s people are not without fault or blemish, so he desists from labelling them as “righteous”, choosing instead to describe them as “more righteous” than the interlopers.

God nor only remains silent while the wicked prosper, we are told from verse 6 that God has Himself raised up these wicked people to express His wrath and judgment on the Israelites.

I receive great encouragement from this verse for it tells me that God is present in every situation. If I am tempted to consider any circumstance I find myself in as “too ungodly for God”, then I can remind myself of this verse, and even ponder whether God is the force behind the situation, having created it to effect a work or change in me.






Lord God,

I am so clearly reminded that You are in all things. Even though there is nothing evil about You, You can work for good in the most unpromising situation. I invite You into every aspect of my life. I acknowledge You fully. Lead me always in Your way. Open the path before me, and direct my steps. I love You, and seek to honour You in who I am and all that I do. Receive these my prayers, in Jesus’ Name I pray.                                                                       Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment