Tuesday 2 July 2013

Home again

The LORD will watch over your coming and going both now and forevermore.        Psalm 121.8

It is very early in the morning of Wednesday, 3rd July. I am up at this early hour because my body clock is somewhat awry. It took between 30 and 40 hours to travel from Madrid to Sydney. The journey comprised three stages with extended waiting periods between each flight. My body is understandably confused.

But, all is well. I am home. Apart from tiredness, I am well. God has protected me, and looked after my home whilst I was away. Furthermore, I have a host more of wonderful memories in my treasure chest.

I might well reflect on the last six weeks and the events thereof, and wonder if it really happened. Did I really meet all those lovely people? Did I get to see such a variety of places, of sights and scenes? And did I truly experience God walking with me and sharing with me the wonders of life? Yes I did, most definitely I did!

But the amazing reality is that these precious experiences are not consigned to the past. My life in Him is ongoing. I can daily experience interaction with the loveliest people. I can enjoy the variety in the habitat and places that are close to home. And I can give myself to Him, to walk with Him every step of the way, and every minute of the day.

I believe I need to act in this. God has assured me that He will never leave me nor forsake me. He is with me always. Yet, I sense I have the choice of accepting His presence. I can live fully in the reality of relationship with Him, or I can muddle through life on my own and call out to Him only when things get too difficult or too desperate for me.

I know the choice for me, and I make that choice wholeheartedly. I want God, every moment of every day, with me, leading me, encouraging me, loving me.

And so, I leave Spain, but I do not let go of God. I am grateful for the special times I experienced on the Iberian Peninsula, days when I set aside time specifically to walk with Him and talk with Him. The walking and the talking continue. They may not be quite as focused as in these recent weeks yet, nevertheless, they will be. I find I will act in what I determine to be a priority. My clear priority is to walk with Him.

Farewell Spain, for the moment. Adios!

Adios, the Spanish for farewell or goodbye, compares directly with the French "Adieu". In both cases, the literal translation is "to God". And so, in respect to this country of Spain and the wonderful sojourn there that has just ended, I turn to God.






Almighty God,

I come again to You in thankfulness, in the fullness of heartiest thanksgiving.

I thank You for the journey that You have led me on in recent weeks. I thank You for Spain, and for Portugal where my walking began. I thank You for the countries and their peoples, the many who hosted me and served me along the way. I thank You for the wonderful peregrinos and peregrinas You brought to me, to walk alongside me and share a part of life with me. I thank You for the many who were not physically with me but who followed my progress, and maybe prayed for me.

I thank You for the fine weather, the arrangements that worked out so smoothly, and the joys of discovery in new places.

I thank You especially for those wonderful, breathtaking encounters with You, for the "suddenlies" You surprised me with.

I thank You for a safe return home and the continuing walk with You, which is as thrilling in everyday life as it is in exotic, foreign settings.

I say "A Dios" as I remember the countires I've visited, their peoples, the new friends I've made, and the exisitng friends who have supported me. I commit all of this to You, with the prayer, a Dios, to God, Dear God, I ask You to protect and prosper the aforesaid. I pray You will lead more people on "Caminos" where they will experience the reality of walking with You.

I give myself to the ongoing walk with You. Whatever You have for me, Lord, may I receive it in ready willingness and humble obedience.

         Lead on, I am Yours, Lord,
                                              in life, in love.
                                                                  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment