Sunday 21 July 2013

Forgiveness



“Which is easier: to say to the paralytic, ‘Your sins are forgiven’, or to say, ‘Get up, take your mat and walk’?”                                    Mark 2.9


I note the order of Jesus’ words here where forgiveness of sins precedes healing. Of course, forgiveness of sins cannot be taken as an assurance of healing but, surely, I can only help myself when I take steps to remove anything that I might perceive as an obstacle or obstruction to healing, deliverance, release or empowerment.

Healing comes in the name of Jesus. Jesus was sinless therefore He had no reason to seek forgiveness of others. Yet He was affected, grossly and mortally, by the sins of others. His response was one of forgiveness on their behalf:

“Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing.”   (Luke 23.34)

Jesus also said, “Follow me.” (Mark 2.14). I have received Jesus and taken His name into my being. I am a Christian. I want to follow Him. Yet, He is sinless and I am sinful. Thus it is necessary for me to throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles (Heb. 12.1). When I sin, I need to confess, repent and seek forgiveness. This act might be required of me towards God, or towards other human beings. Whatever is required, I need to act and not delay. Similarly when others hurt or wrong me, I must respond in forgiveness. Holding on to hurt or the wrongs of others will only hinder my own walk with God, will retard me in following Jesus, and is likely to rob me of the peace and joy that is a hallmark of His presence, love and power with me and in me.

When I struggle with issues, even finding it nigh impossible to forgive in some instances, He will help me – to the extent that I am willing. And if I am ‘paralysed’ in any way, He may bless me with healing. Yet, notwithstanding, perhaps the greatest healing comes with my release from sin and un-forgiveness.






Dear God,

I lay before You my sinful self. I confess my sins. I repent and say, in utmost earnestness that I want to go Your way. Forgive me all of my sins. Show me any unconfessed sin that might lurk in my inner being. Empower me by Your Holy Spirit to bring all into the light in confession and repentance. Set me free, Lord. I realise this is a continuing activity for I will surely sin again. Let me not be deterred by this, nor accept it with over-familiarity. But allow me to press in to You. Draw me closer. Shape me, more and more, in the image of Jesus the Christ, very God in human form.

I’m Yours in complete surrender. Receive my prayer, in Jesus’ Name.                              Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment