Tuesday 30 July 2013

Faith not disbelief



When Jesus saw their faith, he said to the paralytic, “Son, your sins are forgiven.”     
                                                                                                                     Mark 2.5


The friends of the paralytic man had brought him to Jesus for healing. Because they could not get him close to Jesus, they climbed to the roof of the building and made a hole in the roof through which they lowered the man to Jesus below. Such daring and enterprise was seen by Jesus as evidence of their faith. He responded by pronouncing immediate forgiveness of sins on the paralytic.

The next instance that Mark records is the disbelief and criticism of the ‘teachers of the law’. What a contrast this is to the faith that has just been displayed. Jesus responds to their negativity with the positive act of healing the paralytic, showing that He has the power both to forgive sins and to command healing. The reaction of the onlookers is one of amazement and praise. Hallelujah!

In this clear contrast between faith and disbelief, I want to embrace faith. I note also that faith is demonstrated. Jesus responded to the paralytic and his friends because He saw the evidence of their faith. May this also be with me!







Lord God,

I thank You for this further insight. I claim the way of faith. I declare, “I believe”, and I ask You to help me to overcome any unbelief that might arise, or seek to arise, at any time.

I pray also that my faith be demonstrated and that the evidence of faith may be clearly seen in my life. May my lamp be placed on a stand from which the light of Jesus is clearly seen shining forth.                                                                                                                           Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment