Sunday 14 July 2013

Sword of praise



May the praise of God be in their mouths
and a double-edged sword in their hands.                         Psalm  149.6


Praise from the mouths of the people gives glory to God. It exalts the Lord Most High through the singing of His children in adoration and worship,.

But there is more! Praising God empowers His people. The Lord inhabits the praises offered to Him. He is there, strengthening and empowering those who praise Him, in the act of praising him. As we sing out to Him, it is as though a weapon, a double-edged sword is placed in our hands.

I understand a double-edged sword to be a powerful and effective weapon. Yet, apart from the reality of the two sharpened edges to the sword, I see also an analogy here.

I see two separate cutting edges in terms of the effect of wielding the sword of praise. Whilst both edges of the sword swing fearlessly in praise, exalt the Lord God and draw us to Him, I see the one cutting edge as working for our own protection and empowerment. My praise to God cloaks me in Him. It assures me that I am safe in Him. I am provided for, and I am strengthened against any assault.

The other cutting edge of the sword I use in the fight for, and on behalf of, other people. I can reach people with the love of God and salvation through Christ as I wield the sword of praise. I am empowered, through the Holy Spirit of the living God, to reach out in witness and godly ministry to those who desperately need Him – even those who don’t yet know it!






Lord God,

I thank You for the power that is in my praise to You. I lift my voice today in highest praise. You are wonderful. You are glorious. I praise You. I honour You. I worship and adore You. Receive my praise. Inhabit my praise, in Jesus’ Name I ask.                                              Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment