Tuesday 23 July 2013

Even the dogs



“Yes, Lord,” she replied, “but even the dogs under the table eat the children’s crumbs.” Mark 7.28


In telling the woman that the children must eat first Jesus is effectively saying that His mission and ministry is primarily to the Jews. But the Gentile woman responds with a willingness to accept what is left over. Jesus heals her daughter in response to the faith she has demonstrated.

It’s not clear to me if this act effectively opens the way for Gentiles to come to Jesus or whether the ultimate rejection of Him by the Jews provided the real key. What is real, very real, is that the way is open. The way is open to Jew and Gentile.

Irrespective of race or creed, all can come to Christ. There are many in the world today who follow false religions. Many follow the way of no apparent religion at all. My prayer is for every one of them.
God help them!







Lord God,

I thank You for this Gentile woman who sought out Jesus. Whether she opened the way for the rest of us is irrelevant. She is a wonderful example.

I pray earnestly for those who don’t know You. I remember the words of Jesus that “No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him.”I see the Holy Spirit involved in this work with the Father and the Son, drawing people into divine relationship.

I ask You, Triune God, to reach out to the lost and bring them to that place of accepting Jesus as Lord and Saviour, and of joining the Kingdom of heaven. I pray especially for family members, for friends and for neighbours. Hear my cries, Lord. May my prayer come to You, and may it be answered in glorious affirmation.

May Your Holy Spirit be active all over this world seeking out the lost and bringing them into the fold.

I bring this prayer to You, in faith, in the name of Jesus.                                                    Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment