Tuesday 9 July 2013

His will



Teach me to do your will,
for you are my God;
may your good Spirit
lead me on level ground.
                                                                                                         Psalm 143.10


These words of the psalmist are most encouraging. I might struggle within myself, even strive to seek out God’s will for me. I might anguish, daily, to be sure that I am living in His will. Yet none of this is necessary. For, just like the psalmist, all I need do is to surrender myself to the Almighty and say, simply:
Lord, teach me to do Your will. You are my God. You are almighty and I choose to live in Your will. You will teach me and I rejoice in this.

I am grateful to have come to the place of trusting God for His will, and believing that I live in it from moment to moment. I repeatedly tell Him that my desire is to live in the fullness of His will. Having done this, and continuing to do it, I believe that God’s will is not some future event that I must await, but that it’s with me right at this moment. For, as surely as I’ve asked, He has responded and I live in His will in the here and now.

The psalmist further asks for God’s Spirit to lead him on level ground. Again, I want always to be led by the Holy Spirit. It would be most desirable if life were lived at all times ‘on level ground’, but sometimes the journey takes us into mountainous terrain. We travel through valleys; we are challenged by dark shadows and steep ascents. Yes, it would be nice if the journey was always on level ground but this does not always happen. Yet, with the Holy Spirit as our travel companion, we need not fear the undulations of life. Living in God’s will, I know that God is always there. Indeed, His Word assures me of this. And ultimately, despite what might arise along the way, God will come through. He will have His way and the result will be peace and blessing. Level ground is desirable but not necessary to my walk of faith with a righteous and faithful God.



Lord God,

How wonderful it is to echo a voice of long ago and say, in unison with this ancient writer: teach me to do Your will. You know how I long to please You, how I desire to live in the fullness of Your will – right now and for every moment of life. I rejoice because I have brought this plea before You many times, and I believe You have heard and answered. I choose to believe that I live in Your will right now and for every minute that I continue to keep my eyes fixed on You.

I seek the constant leading of Your Spirit. I do not wish to go anywhere or do anything without your Holy Spirit leading me. Let me be led by the Spirit as my Lord Jesus was led in all that He did on this earth. Lord, hear my prayer. May I also live a Godly life, pleasing to You in every respect and fulfilling the specific plan and purposes You have for me. I come to You in love and obedience. I’m Yours. Hallelujah!                                                    Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment