Saturday 27 July 2013

Night and day



Night and day, whether he sleeps or gets up, the seed sprouts and grows, though he does not know.                                           Mark 4.27


Jesus uses the beautiful example of seed sprouting and growing in the ground to illustrate the power of the gospel message growing in an individual.

Man does not plant the seed of the gospel. This is God’s work. Jesus tells us, quite clearly, “No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him” (John 6.44). God plants the seed that begins His drawing of the individual to Jesus.

Man does not cause the seed to grow. God, likewise, does this. The wonder of growth is contained in the seed itself. This is God’s doing also and it is part of His plan. In the same way, Jesus shows us that the gospel may grow in power in an individual, leading to a mighty harvest for the Kingdom.

God alone brings about this growth. He is not reliant on the believer in this, yet the individual can advance this process or not. A person whose heart is open wide to God’s working is like soil that is well watered and cultivated. The seed will likely experience greater growth in good soil, and God’s Word will grow greatly in the heart that is truly open to receive.







Lord God,

Receive my open heart. Enter in fullness and may Your power grow and grow in me. Use me in the fullest exercise of the power of Your Word.

Let me burn with yearning for the lost to be found, and to enter into the Kingdom of heaven. Empower me to witness for Jesus in love, strength and grace. Enable me to reach many. Allow me to be effective for You, in Jesus’ Name I ask.                                          Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment