Monday 23 July 2018

Peace

Because he knew no quiet within him, he does not retain anything he desires.        Job 20.20


Although these words come from Zophar I see a measure of truth of them in Job. In the face of enormous afflictions that have so suddenly come upon Job, he is responding in a reasonable way. There is a form of peace within him, but is this the full peace of God? 

The peace of God brings total calm. The whole of the person comes to a place of quiet, of rest and renewing. This happens without regard to the external circumstances and events. It is my belief that, after the ordeal of Gethsemane, Jesus knew the full measure of the peace of God, and this peace carried Him through the terrible experiences of trial and crucifixion.

The peace of God is a peace we cannot understand. It is a peace that no amount of money will buy. It is freely given, and is to be freely received. Jesus Himself gives us this peace.

“Peace I leave with you; My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Do not let your heart be troubled, nor let it be fearful.” John 24.27




Lord Jesus,
I receive Your peace. I pray that I may always know this peace – Your peace. let me respond to Your word and be still before You. Let my whole being know the wonderful quiet that comes from You.
Hold me close. Fill me with Your peace. Lead me forward, in quietness, in Your Spirit to share You with all whom I meet, in Your precious name I ask.      Amen.





No comments:

Post a Comment