Saturday 7 July 2018

A daily race

Therefore, since we have so great a cloud of witnesses surrounding us, let us also lay aside every encumbrance and the sin which so easily entangles us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us.                                                                         Heb. 12.1


We are running a race. We need to run with patience that we might endure to completion, to pass the wining post and receive the crown of victory. We may be encouraged in the race that we run by the amazing witnesses that have preceded us. 

Chapter eleven of Hebrews mentions several of this great cloud of witnesses. The Bible is filled with many more – men and women we read about but, perhaps, with whose stories we are too familiar. We may have heard the stories since childhood. We may have heard, and yet not fully comprehended the reality of the obstacles and deceits these people had to contend with. Yet they had faith and their faith led them through the race. They stand, for us, the most wonderful inspiration and an undeniable testimony to the work of faith. Time and time again we see that faith, and faith alone, got them through. They had faith, and they were patient.

They stand for us as a great cloud of witnesses, witnesses to a faith that can surmount all difficulties. A faith that will overcome and win through.

In our own race we must do as they did. We must set aside anything that might hinder us. We need familiarity with sacrifice and self-denial. Every sin must be laid aside, every sin.

We must concentrate on the race we run. Our purpose and will need undergirding with the most strenuous and determined effort. We surrender ourselves and put aside everything for the sake of God and His will for our lives. And we run the race with patience. The race is a daily discipline. Day in, day out, we persevere, we persist. In patience we continue.

Finally, we seek the blessing of the Holy Spirit. God is for us. God is with us. He generously pours out His Holy Spirit into the lives of all who seek Him.



Lord God,
What a wonderful cloud of witnesses precedes me. Time and again as I read Your Word I meet the people You love. They are certainly human for their weaknesses are all too often apparent. Yet I would dare to suggest that their faith stands clearer than their weaknesses.
O Lord, let me be a man of faith. Impart to me, I pray, an amazing faith. I want to know that You are with me in all things. I want to know Your power with me, and see it made manifest around me. My desire is to minister in power with You. I yearn to see the lost touched by the power of God and brought thereby into the Kingdom of Heaven, to repent of sin, renounce the ways of the world, and commit to the Lordship of Jesus and the plans and purposes of Almighty God. 
Lord, this is my prayer. My heart cries out to see the lost come to You. Touch them, Lord. Use me please, in Jesus name I ask.                Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment