Wednesday 18 April 2018

Readiness

Greetings to any readers who are still with me in this adventure. I appreciate your support, and especially your prayers. There has been no blog for a day or two because there has been nothing to report. Sadly, this is still the case. I had hoped to see the oncologist this afternoon with news of pathology results and a proposal for ongoing treatment, but she did not appear and, as it is now well into the evening, I don't expect any more news before tomorrow.

But the piilgrimage - and the adventure - continues. In the normal running of this blog, I include entries from my prayer journal. After all, the blog is not about me, but about God and my relationship with Him. I'd like to share with you my meditation and reflection for today which occurred sometime in the early  hours of the day - it's not all that easy getting rest in a hospital bed!

My prayer is that you will stay with me. Apart from any "heavenly secrets" we may share, let me tell you of the minor thrill I get when I check the number of hits to my site!

Here goes!

When the LORD saw he had gone over to look, God called to him from within the bush, " Moses! Moses!" And Moses said, "Here I am."      Exod. 3.4

The entry that Oswald Chambers (My Utmost for His Highest, Marshall Pickering, 1927, p115) lists for today, 18th April, says so much of what I feel, and believe is right for me. I am tempted to quote his entry verbatim. I will certainly include extracts.

But first, my experience from reading of Moses and the burning bush. The year was 2000. I had been on a solo missionary visit to Thailand and India. My time with the folks there, and the shared ministry, was truly amazing. I planned a few days stopover in Singapore on the way home where I hoped to conduct a mini retreat for myself.

In a most pleasant room on about the 15th floor of a modern hotel, I wondered if I'd found the right 
environment. I had no need to question or fear. God had it all in hand. As I read of Moses' encounter with God through the burning bush, my own most intimate brush with the Power of Heaven took place. I read of God's affirmation to Moses: And God said, "I will be with you !" Exod. 3.12. Suddenly, out of the far corner of the hotel apartment a sweet but powerful voice spoke to me. It said, "Peter, I will be with you too."

I know God is with me. I know He guides me, and I willingly give myself into His guidance. He has not left me - and He never will. Right now, I am excited to know that He is with me - and He is leading.

And so to Mr. Chambers. He tells us that Moses' response of "Here I am" reveals that he was somewhere. Moses was present and, I suggest, ready for God. (Chambers: Readiness means a right relationship to God and a knowledge of where we are at present....Readiness for God means that we are ready to do the tiniest little thing or the great big thing, it makes no difference. We have no choice in what we want to do; whatever God's programme may be we are there, ready....Be ready for the sudden surprise visits of God. A ready person never needs to get ready...the ready soul..is ablaze with the presence of God.)

Lord God, 
I am ready. I know You are with me; You are for me; and You are in me. I believe You have work yet for me to do. I embrace You with every part of my being.
Where am I now? I see myself in the palm of Your hand, like a lump of clay held ready to be shaped by the potter.
Recent times and events have revealed to me most sudden surprises from You. I restate: I am ready.
I sense that further medical treatment may lie ahead. I leave this with You, for Your outcome is what I desire. If challenges are strong, I ask You to strengthen me. When my courage fails, may I be upheld on the rock that is You.
I have a deep care, especially, for the two congregations You have connected me with. I love them dearly, as I know You do. I believe You have plans for my ongoing connection with these beautiful people. Again, I leave this with You, knowing that all will unfold in Your time and manner.
Meanwhile, I give myself to rest in You. I am in such a precious time. I crave more of You. I believe I will receive. I love You. I thank You.   Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment