Friday 6 April 2018

One with the body

The body is a unit, though it is made up of many parts; and though all its parts are many, they form one body. So it is with Christ.       1 Cor. 12.12

What a day this has been! Tumultuous would be a good word. I have been inundated with personal visits, phone calls, text messages and emails. And God has been in it all. I have been well and truly reminded that I am part of the body of Christ, and it seems a much loved member at that!

I arrived at the destination hospital at about 6 o'clock last evening. As I was settling in, I was welcomed by a fellow patient. He is a young man from the Central Coast of New South Wales. He's had a tumor removed from his pituitary gland. We spoke briefly last night then he left.

This morning he dropped by briefly when passing. After some chat, he said he felt God wanted him to pray for me. Wow! "Yes, please." As he was finishing, my friend of many years who was one of my first Christian connections in Sydney came to visit. Much God talk followed. During this time my lovely daughter and her husband arrived with essentials - and some goodies!

After lunch, I was allowed out of the ward. I met another friend from another church. As we enjoyed coffee, another friend from another church arrived. It was surprising how we were able to share so many common experiences and a few mutual acquaintances. 

On their departure, I returned to my room for some rest. No chance! No sooner was I settled in bed when another friend, from yet another church, arrived together with an impressive looking African gent. My friend had noticed this man entering the hospital with a Bible under his arm - so he invited him to come and pray for me! Well, why not? I made no complaint. The man had only been in Australia two weeks from Zimbabwe. He is visiting his son who suffers with bi-polar disease.

In amongst all the social interaction (I'm so glad I'm not feeling sick!) there have been medical moments. The pharmacist had sorted me out with medication . A young physiotherapist assessed me before inviting me on a short walk.  However, he reneged when I suggested a hike to the next suburb.

My surgery is likely to occur on Friday of next week, one whole week away. This is because the blood thinners in my system have to be eliminated. Consequently it is just possible that I will be released to go home over the weekend. Tomorrow will tell.

Meanwhile, I'm finishing the day (or I think I am) with a visit from another dear Christian brother.

Is God in this or not? What a wonderful day!


My Dear Father,
I have sensed Your presence throughout the whole of this amazing day. You have positively reminded me of the love and acceptance of the family of the Body of Christ. Many times today I have wondered why I should receive such attention and love. It is truly humbling. I thank You.    Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment