Saturday 27 May 2017

Willingly

This is the list of the people of Israel, the heads of families, the commanders of the thousands and the hundreds, and their officers who served the king in all matters concerning the divisions that came and went, month after month throughout the year, each division numbering twenty-four thousand.                                          1 Chron. 27.1


What follows this verse is a listing of men, heads of their families and leaders in David’s administration. A different leader is appointed for each month of the year. In some instances successors are named. Each man heads a division of twenty-four thousand. These are the people who support David and facilitate his reign.

What I discern from this passage is wise leadership. The authority is shared. There is strength, numbers, loyalty and continuity in this arrangement. I believe trust would have been a major element.

As I consider David’s model, I ponder on its godliness. The whole arrangement might have come from David’s military training and the input of his expert strategists. But I rather sense God’s input. It is as if God is saying:
“Consider my way in what you read of David’s organisation. My way is one of order. I have people identified for all key positions. If they are loyal to me the result will be a strong body with all the resources that are necessary. The duties will be shared between the most capable people. Succession will be assured when the focus is on me. All that is required of you is that you trust me and give me your full obedience. There are many in my family, many work for me and with me. You are one such. Know that you are part of the most amazing whole, and without you the rest isn’t complete. You are key in the work of my body. Take your place willingly, and joyfully.”



Lord God, I come!







My book “God Talk” is available through major Internet booksellers.
A taste of the book's content can be seen in the You Tube clip
(Search: Peter Francis - "God Talk").


No comments:

Post a Comment