Wednesday 3 May 2017

Sequence

When David had finished offering the burnt offerings and the offerings of well-being, he blessed the people in the name of the LORD.                                               1 Chron. 16.2


David had pitched a tent for the ark of God which he then brought and placed inside the tent.

Then he made offerings to God. This was his first act in the place where the ark of God, God’s presence, was. After making offering to God, David blessed the people. In addition to the blessing he distributed, to every person in Israel, a loaf of bread, a portion of meat, and a cake of raisins. (v3)

There is a sequence in David’s actions that is attracting me. Firstly, he has made a holy place where he can meet with God. His initial act there is to give offering to God and, by so doing, I see him offering himself to God to be used by Him as He wills. When he has rightly made his offering to God, he blesses the people. In this, I see him make clear and direct connection between the people and God. But he does not leave it there. He then makes gifts to all the people, provisions that may well have given them welcome sustenance.

There is a pattern in David’s actions that can translate into a way of life for the believer, for me. It starts with placing God in His rightful position as Lord of my life. I then make full offering of myself to Him. I bless His people, all of them without exception, and I give to them as I am able and as they might have need. What an excellent way to live!





Lord God,

I meet with You in holy reverence. I make offering to You and I give myself fully into Your service. I pray for opportunities, and a willingness, to bless people and to help them whenever I can. I ask You to guide and direct me in this. May we work in closest harmony, in Jesus’ name I pray.          Amen.





My book “God Talk” is available through major Internet booksellers.
A taste of the book's content can be seen in the You Tube clip
(Search: Peter Francis - "God Talk").

No comments:

Post a Comment