Tuesday 23 May 2017

God's order

David and the officers of the army also set apart for the service the sons of Asaph, and of Heman, and of Jeduthun, who should prophesy with lyres, harps and cymbals.            1 Chron. 25.1a
                                                                                                                                      

To 21st century sensitivity, the words David and the officers of the army may sound like a military junta. My thinking is that this was simply the way in which David’s administration was set up.

The narrative goes on to list the families of the three men mentioned, two hundred and eighty-eight people in all. They were formed into twenty-four teams. And they cast lots for their duties, small and great, teacher and pupil alike. (v8)

All this tells me that the worship teams were specially selected and appointed. Furthermore, they shared between them the duties involved, without elitism of favour.

Herein lies a lesson that many areas of the Body of Christ could benefit from today. The calling of any worshipper is greatly significant. These are the people called to lead all others into the throne room of the Almighty. In the first temple they were, I believe, called by God, endorsed by the human authorities, and formed into teams. There was no dispute over who should do what, for all duties were shared in common. What a fine example is set here. And what I’ve said in this paragraph applies, I truly believe, to any and all areas of ministry!



Lord,

I pray for the Body of Christ today. I pray for the church in its various expressions.

I pray Godly order into the people and all that we do. Let us not be seduced into following the ways of the world. Jesus said, “I am the way.” May we follow Him.

I pray that leaders will arise who will truly follow Jesus, and who will lead others in that narrow way. I ask Your holy guidance on all who profess the faith. Lead us to be worthy witnesses to our Lord and God.            Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment