Sunday 7 May 2017

My Choice

Now therefore thus you shall say to my servant David: Thus says the LORD of hosts: I took you from the pasture, from following the sheep, to be ruler over my people Israel; and I have been with you wherever you went, and have cut off all your enemies before you; and I will make for you a name, like the name of the great ones of the earth.              1 Chron. 17.7,8                                                                                                           


God speaks to David through Nathan, reminding him of the changes that he, God, has brought in his life. And what monumental changes these are! David was the youngest son. This was essentially the lowest place in the family. He was the keeper of his father’s sheep. While this was an honourable and worthy occupation, it was by no means elevated or powerful.

But God had plans for David. He took him out of the husbandry of the land to become leader of the whole people of God. And as a leader, David was great. God gifted him to become as notable as any of the great world leaders.

In all of David’s experiences God was with him. Wherever David went God was there. David had an incredible life. And this was all God's choice and blessing for him. How different God’s plans for us might be from where we begin, or even from what we might dream of ourselves.

But I believe we have a choice: to go with God or to hold back, and follow our own way. I’m sure there might have been times when David wondered what he had given himself to. There may well come such times for me, although I haven’t experienced this to date. Indeed, God’s way for me has been a wonderful way, and I pray it will continue so.





Lord God,

I give myself into Your way and Your plan for me. I delight in You and seek to journey always in company with You. I thank You for the privilege and the joy.                 Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment