Tuesday 9 May 2017

Humility and Obedience

Then King David went in and sat before the LORD, and said, “Who am I, O LORD God, and what is my house, that you have brought me thus far?”          1 Chron. 17.16


This humble statement introduces a most wonderful prayer of humility by David. He recognises how God has favoured him, taking him from the relatively minor role of watching over his father’s sheep to leading the nation that God has chosen for His own.

And this was no “also–ran” nation. David under God’s blessing and guidance united all of Israel and made it a great people. But David knew where the credit lay in all that had been accomplished. This was not his doing, but the work of a great and mighty God working in him and through him.

David gave himself, and God did the rest. Furthermore, the blessing that David received from God was extended to his house. God was to establish the house of David forever (v14). David was most certainly favoured by God.

I, too, feel greatly favoured by God. When I look back over the way God has led me in this life’s journey I am amazed. When I contemplate the wonderful, and many, ministry opportunities God gives me, and continues to give me, I have difficulty comprehending how it has all come to pass. But I sense God saying, “I don’t need you to understand. Like David, your role is to obey, to receive, and to go forward in what I place before you.”

Like David, I am tempted to say, “Who am I, Lord, that You have brought me this far?”

Like David, may I continue in obedience and humility.



Lord God,

I marvel at the journey You have led me on and the wonderful experiences You give me. May I never become complaisant with You. I offer myself fully to You in sincerity and humility. And I ask for Your Holy Spirit covering that I remain obedient and humble. I thank You.                 Amen.





My book “God Talk” is available through major Internet booksellers.
A taste of the book's content can be seen in the You Tube clip

(Search: Peter Francis - "God Talk").


No comments:

Post a Comment