Thursday 11 May 2017

... in God

The LORD gave victory to David wherever he went…

And the LORD gave victory to David wherever he went.                      1 Chron. 18.6b, 13b


This short phrase, which is repeated in this passage, says so much. David had been faithful to God, and God was with David.

God did not simply protect David and bring him through adversity, He gave him great victories. He established him as a mighty power.

I might see God’s blessing of David as a reward for David’s faithfulness, but I must hold also that God’s faithfulness is not conditional upon human action. God will do because He has said He will do. God is consistent in all that He is and in all that He does.

David is described in Scripture as a man after God’s own heart. I see him as someone who loves God. The love we have for God with the love we receive from Him leads us into the sort of relationship we were created for.

David’s relationship with God brought him victories, spoils and power. But what I’m sure was important to David was the relationship itself. I know this is so for me. I am grateful for every blessing that God so graciously bestows on me, but these would be nothing without the relationship. I give myself to that ongoing relationship. May God draw me closer as the journey continues. May He take me deeper into Himself, for there I will find true joy – and myself!



Sweet Lord,

You are everything to me. I come to You hungry for more. Draw me, please, and take me deeper. May I touch new depths in You and may You reach new depths in me. Release me from anything that hinders. Take me for Your own, in Jesus’ name I ask.                 Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment