Saturday 13 May 2017

Suspicion?

When David’s servants came to Hanun in the land of the Ammonites, to console him, the officials of the Ammonites said to Hanun, “Do you think, because David has sent consolers to you, that he is honouring your father?          Have not his servants come to you to search and to overthrow and to spy out the land?”                         1 Chron. 19.2b,3


David wanted to honour Hanun, King Nahash’s son, because the father had been greatly honouring to David. But the Ammonite officials did not see David’s actions in this way. They chose to see mischief and evil motives. Their reaction can be summed up in one word – suspicion!

In the case of the Ammonites, their suspicion cost them dearly. In a very short time after their revolt against David they were crushed by him. And it is true to say that their defeat came about by their own distrusting, and foolish, choice.

I have a choice in how I regard people and their actions. I can choose to determine their motives towards me. But I must be careful. I see suspicion as something that is often abusive. It destroys innocence and sometimes totally distorts the truth. Yet I need to exercise care in how I receive and respond to people and situations in my life.

I see the answer in wisdom. And this I will receive from God as I ask for it (Jas. 1.5). I need wisdom. It is a vital and valuable property. I choose to exercise wisdom and not suspicion. Let me look to Christ, and let me follow Him in the way of wisdom.



Loving God,

I come to You in praise and thanksgiving. I thank You for the insights You give into the Holy Scriptures. I ask You for wisdom. May I know Your way in what I am about. Let me not be suspicious, but wise, in Jesus’ name I ask.               Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment