Wednesday 22 March 2017

No compromise

But they kept urgently demanding with loud shouts that he should be crucified; and their voices prevailed.                                                                                                         Luke 23.23


Luke records that Pilate presented to the mob three times that Jesus had done nothing deserving of the death penalty. But each time they clamoured for Him to be crucified. And the demand grew more urgent and insistent with each repetition.

Then we read these four words of finality: and their voices prevailed.

Pilate was a powerful figure. Maybe he wouldn’t have been swayed as he was if he had been in a lesser position of power. The more power and authority a person has, the more is at risk; one becomes more vulnerable and the more one is likely to compromise.

From this reading of Luke, and the reminder that Pilate attempted three times to clear Jesus, I am saddened that he was unable to stand with his conscience. I wonder how he fared after the event. Did his conscience trouble him? Quite likely it did!

I pray I may never even have to contemplate compromising my position concerning Jesus. I think I know myself well enough to realise that I would find it extremely difficult, if not impossible, to live with the effect of compromise. I may be fortunate that I am not in the position of power and influence that Pilate held, yet I need to be careful. I look to stay as true to my faith as I can. Even then, I know I need His help.





Lord God, Loving Companion,

I want to be true to my faith at all times. I know I need strength for this, and that strength can only come from You.

I ask You, then, to strengthen me in You, and to be with me in my journey of faith.
                                                                                                                                    Amen.




My book “God Talk” is available through major Internet booksellers.
A taste of the book's content can be seen in the You Tube clip
(Search: Peter Francis - "God Talk").

No comments:

Post a Comment