Thursday 16 March 2017

A kiss

But Jesus said to him, “Judas, is it with a kiss that you are betraying the Son of Man?”                                                                                                                                                 Luke 22.48


In the culture of these people the kiss was a most significant gesture. Between men it signified friendship. It was also used as an act of homage to a superior and, in a worshipful sense, it conveyed mutual love and respect. Thus the kiss was highly honourable and deeply significant.

And this most profound act of respect, even worship, Judas used to betray his friend, teacher and Lord. Jesus’ response could well be tinged with incredulity at the blatant abuse of such a respectful gesture.

What, I wonder, was Judas thinking? Was this a deliberate debasement and humiliation or was he, perhaps, trying to say, “I truly love you, but I need you to act.”

Judas’ actions, whatever his motives, appear as the grossest act of hypocrisy and deceit. But these actions, nonetheless, are open. Recorded as they are, the whole world can undeniably see his grubbiness.

But what of those who profess Jesus as Lord yet conduct their lives in a manner not unlike Judas? The deception may not be as deep and intense as it appears in Judas, but it may well exist, in some measure, in many of us at some time or another.

I am reminded to ‘not focus on the speck of dust in my brother’s eye when there may be a plank in my own eye.’ I pray I may never act as Judas did, but I need to be wary and alert at all times.





Lord Jesus,

I am appalled at Judas’ deceitful betrayal, yet I am cautious to point the finger. Peter vehemently denied he would disown You, yet he did just that.

I pray I may never speak against You, not in any measure whatsoever. Help me in this, in Your precious name I ask.                   Amen.



No comments:

Post a Comment