Friday 10 March 2017

All authority

“Simon, Simon, listen! Satan has demanded to sift all of you like wheat.”
                                                                                                                        Luke 22.31


What impacts me in this sentence is that Satan has “demanded” the sifting of the disciples. My first reaction is to question Satan’s right to demand. On further investigation, I learn that the Greek origin exaitéõ can mean to ask, require or demand or, in the form used here, exaitéomai, it means to claim back for oneself (Zodhiates, the Complete Word Study Dictionary, p598). This begins to make sense.

Peter, like all humans, was born into a world given over to the power of evil. It is a limited power, yet it is capable of much destruction. But Peter chose to follow Jesus thereby aligning himself with a greater power. As in all such cases, this is distasteful to Satan who then seeks to reclaim what was once his.

But Jesus will not allow this. He says to Peter, “… but I have prayed for you that your own faith may not fail…” (v32) Thus the greater power comes into play. For Jesus has all authority in heaven and on earth. His power is the greater.

As Jesus prayed for Peter, so He prays for all who turn to Him, and His power is salvation itself. Consequently, he is able for all time to save those who approach God through him, since he always lives to make intercession for them. (Heb. 7.25)

I praise God for His love, grace and mercy to me. I do not deserve His saving action but, by His love, He blesses and rescues me.





Gracious Lord Jesus,

You prayed for Peter and You pray for me. I thank You. I have chosen You and I want to follow You. May I be ever covered by Your prayer. May I know Your way for me, and may I be strengthened by Your Holy Spirit to follow always the way in which You lead me.                Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment