Tuesday 28 March 2017

Foolish

Then he said to them, “Oh, how foolish you are, and how slow of heart to believe all that the prophets have declared.”                                                      Luke 24.25


Jesus speaks to the two travellers on the road to Emmaus. But His words are for us all.

He considers us foolish because we are slow of heart to believe the truth that is Him. The prophets declared it long ago; He lived it out, but we refuse to believe.

His accusation of us is our slowness of heart. This impacts me. Is my heart slow because my mind is trying to work out His truth? Is my heart giving precedence to my mind? I know there are references to the mind throughout the Scriptures, but they are nowhere near as numerous as the Biblical references to the heart.

David is known as a man after God’s own heart. First and foremost, God is seeking my heart. If I give Him my heart, the rest of me will follow suit.

My work is to subordinate my mind to my heart. I do not ignore or discount my mind but, in the things of God, the heart takes precedence. I will never understand God’s ways – they are beyond human comprehension. He tells me that His thoughts are higher than mine. So let me not get tied up in trying to work God out but, rather, let me simply give Him my heart – and leave the rest to Him.





O Great and Gracious God,

I give You my heart, and I surrender my thinking to Your holy guidance. I love You and I want You to be the force that leads me through this life and into the next. It’s as simple as that!

Take me, Lord, and make me wholly Yours.               Amen.






My book “God Talk” is available through major Internet booksellers.
A taste of the book's content can be seen in the You Tube clip
(Search: Peter Francis - "God Talk").


No comments:

Post a Comment