Wednesday 8 March 2017

Communion

When the hour came, he took his place at the table, and the apostles with him.    
                                                                                                                        Luke 22.14


When the apostles joined Jesus at the table they were ready to partake of the Passover meal. Everything had been prepared. Even when Jesus had earlier sent Peter and John off, His words to them had been, “Go and prepare the Passover meal for us that we may eat it.” (v 8)

All had been prepared, and now they were ready. But what followed was not the traditional Passover meal. The records that we have of this time tell us nothing of the disciples’ reactions. They may have been puzzled. They could have been downright outraged. For this man, their leader, was now acting in the strangest manner, and He was totally denying centuries of tradition and leading them in a sharing time that was not what they were expecting.

No, we don’t know how the disciples responded in the moment. What we do know from subsequent events is that they, and we, have been incredibly blessed by that time, which saw the institution of what is known as the Lord’s Supper, the Eucharist, or Holy Communion.

The disciples entered that upper room with certain expectations. What they received was not what they were expecting but did, I truly believe, exceed anything they could have imagined.

This is the way I want to partake of Holy Communion. I may well enter with certain understandings, but let me be expectant of great and wonderful blessings beyond my imaginings. This is, after all, Holy Communion. This is where I join with my Lord in sweet intimacy – and anything can happen!





Lord Jesus,

Thank You for the opportunities I have to share with You in sweet communion. I open myself in these times to receive all You would have for me. Enjoy me, please. I want to enjoy You.              Amen.



No comments:

Post a Comment