Friday 24 March 2017

Different

Then he took it down, wrapped it in a linen cloth and laid it in a rock-hewn tomb where no one had ever been laid.                                                                 Luke 23.53


This verse indicates the care and reverence with which Joseph of Arimathea treated the corpse of Jesus. Yes, the life is gone and only a dead body remains. Jesus is no longer alive as His disciples and family on earth knew Him.

But Joseph treats the lifeless body with dignity and respect. How different his care is from the abuse and torture of the preceding day. What a contrast Joseph presents against the majority of the people around him.

Joseph was a believer. He was also a Jew, and not an insignificant one at that. He was a member of the council, so his actions in requesting the body of Jesus from Pilate were quite bold. But he did not hold back. His faith impelled him to right and honouring action.

Joseph was different. Believers are different, and there may be times when we are called, or prompted, to step out in our difference. I tend to see Joseph’s boldness as a quiet boldness. He did not announce himself noisily, or draw great attention to himself. He simply got on with what he felt he had to do.

I may be called one day to do something out of the ordinary, something which may challenge and test me. May I remember Joseph of Arimathea, and may God strengthen me to the task.





Mighty God,

I thank You for Joseph and for the example I see in him. May I be strengthened to act as he did in any situation where I am called to serve courageously.               Amen



No comments:

Post a Comment