Monday 6 March 2017

Manipulation

Then Satan entered into Judas called Iscariot, who was one of the twelve; …
So he consented and began to look for an opportunity to betray him to them when no crowd was present.                                                                             Luke 22.3,6


It is difficult to tell what Judas’ true thoughts were concerning Jesus. They had been together, and closely so, for some time. Judas seemed to have a certain standing in the group of disciples, for he was entrusted with the finances.

Some theories suggest he might have been impatient with Jesus’ slow move, or lack of move, to power. And this is what prompted him to act as he did, in the hope that it would spur Jesus to make a further, political move.

Whatever his reasons, the outcome was amazing. Initially crushing for the early believers, it led to release and glorious new life. But for Judas the consequence was devastating.

We are told that Satan entered into Judas. Well, we might have expected him to be involved! But do we leave it there? I think not! For we read further that Judas consented. Satan sought to make a pact with Judas, and Judas agreed.

This is the way with all of us. I don’t believe Satan has power over us without us, at some stage, giving him permission. This may be overt or latent. Whichever way, there is a point at which we succumb, and allow ourselves to be manipulated and used for non-good. This is likely to be to our detriment and also that of others. It puts me in a place in God where I’d rather not be.

What can I do? I heed the advice of the writer to the Hebrews. I fix my eyes on Jesus, and I seek His way and His help to lead me through.





Holy God,

I know I sin. Forgive me. I commit to fix my eyes on Jesus and look to Him in all things. Help me in this, please. Strengthen me when I am weak. Equip me as I need it with right thoughts, words and deeds. Lead me on, to Your praise and glory.                                    Amen.






My book “God Talk” is available through major Internet booksellers.
A taste of the book's content can be seen in the You Tube clip
(Search: Peter Francis - "God Talk").

No comments:

Post a Comment