Saturday 4 March 2017

Be alert, and wise

“Be alert at all times, praying that you may have the strength to escape all these things that will take place, and to stand before the Son of Man.”                                 Luke 21.36


Jesus predicts certain signs that will come before His return to earth. They signal confusion and distress. He tells us to stand up and raise our heads, and now He’s telling us to be alert at all times.

I am interested in the thought translated that we gain strength to escape all these calamities. And as I refer back to the Greek, this translation is reasonable: ekpheúgõ means to flee, to run away from, to escape a situation. So I believe Jesus is saying: “Be on your guard; recognise the signs and the likely effect on you, and don’t walk into trouble. Be wise! Seek the way of preservation. Escape unfortunate consequences. Indeed, flee if necessary.”

This is a viewpoint I hadn’t given too much consideration to. I’ve probably been fixed in the Christian approach being to face the music, to stick it out, even to the measure of martyrdom if necessary.

My thinking is expanding. There may well be times when I have to “lay it on the line” and follow through, whatever the consequences might be. But I’m also seeing now how there could be times when it’s more prudent to hold back, to reserve my action, any action, pending taking further stock of what might be happening around me.

I heed Jesus’ words, and I ponder what I think He might be saying to me.





Dear Lord Jesus,

I ask You for wisdom. You demonstrated so much wisdom in Your life and Your teaching. Please impart some of that to me. Enable me to know when I am to stand and face whatever, and show me also when it is more prudent to escape. And may I honour You in every decision I make. Hallelujah!          Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment