Wednesday 1 February 2017

True thankfulness

He prostrated himself at Jesus’ feet and thanked him. And he was a Samaritan.
                                                                                                                                 Luke 17.16


The man healed from leprosy came back to Jesus to thank Him. We are told he was praising God with a loud voice (v15). He was genuine, and visible in his gratitude and thanks.

But there were ten lepers in all who were healed. Jesus asks where the other nine were when it came to thanking God. Furthermore, the man who returned was a Samaritan, a “foreigner”. We’re not told the origin of the other nine, but it is just likely that they were Jews. This would certainly highlight Jesus’ response. If a stranger can give thanks and joyfully and robustly thank God, what about family members? Shouldn’t we be shouting God’s praises louder and longer because of the relationship we have with Him?

My testimony is conditioned by what I am prepared to speak out, and live out. If I don’t tell it, how will it be heard? But there are ways to “tell”. I think the most powerful witness is shown by the way I live. My treatment of others and myself needs to speak clearly of my relationship with God. I believe I have a way to go with this, but I can give myself to it, and seek His help.

As I fix my eyes on Jesus I become more and more mindful of His being, His ways and His presence with me. May I, like the grateful Samaritan, make clear to all what God means to me.





Lord Jesus,

I thank You for all You do for me. I thank You for what You’re doing in me. It’s a continuing process, and I give myself to it with all that I have. But I need You. Strengthen me, please, and embolden me with Your Holy Spirit to “praise God with a loud voice” and reveal Your goodness in my life. Hallelujah!                                                                  Amen.



No comments:

Post a Comment