Sunday 26 February 2017

Leadership

“Beware of the scribes, who like to walk around in long robes, and love to be greeted with respect in the marketplaces, and to have the best seats in the synagogues and places of honour at banquets.”                                                              Luke 20.46


Jesus presents this caution to His disciples in the hearing of all the people (v45). He wanted them to know this and to be on guard against the masquerading of the human appointees to leadership in the religious system. He further touched on the activities of such people: “They devour widows’ houses and for the sake of appearance say long prayers.” He indicated their ultimate end: “They will receive the greatest condemnation.” (v47)

People down through the ages, and in every age, have suffered through the actions of such people in the church. Sadly, this activity continues in this present time. We all need to guard against the evil of self-importance, but especially so in any leadership function we may be called to or assume.

Jesus gave us the model for leadership when He washed the disciples’ feet. He makes it clear to us how we should behave: “For I have set you an example, that you also should do as I have done to you.” (John 13.15) This is the way of the Christian, not the posturing, commandeering, self-righteous presentation we, sadly, often see in so-called Christian life. Mahatma Gandhi is purported to have said, “I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.” (source: www.wattpad.com). I see what he means. We have yet a way to go!





Dear Jesus,


There are areas where we are so unlike You. I can only look to myself. Help me, please, to become more the person You would have me be. I want to be more like You. Take from me any sense of self-importance. Imbue me with Your qualities of servanthood, in Your living name I ask.              Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment