Friday 24 February 2017

Divine

Then he said to them, “How can they say that the Messiah is David’s son?”
                                                                                                                            Mark 20.41


In this interaction I see Jesus referring to His divinity. He explains His question by reminding us that David calls the Messiah his Lord. So, how could He then be his son?

By fully human biological means, the Messiah could not be who He is required to be. There has to be a divine origin. But the Scriptures record God’s promise of a Messiah, a Saviour, from the line of David.

And this is who Jesus is! By divine action Mary, a virgin of the lineage of David becomes the mother of Christ, the Messiah. But the father is God, and only God.

Thus are the Scriptures fulfilled, and the divinity of the Messiah assured. Indeed, in the Messiah the divine and the human meet. This is a mystery! Many likely struggle with the virgin birth. It creates no struggle for me. I hold strongly to the conviction that God can do anything, nothing is impossible to Him (Matt. 19.26).

If I can’t accept God as God, then I am simply acting out faith and belief as a charade. No! I thank God for His amazing self-revelation to me. I confess He took me by surprise. If you like, He ambushed me. I wasn’t prepared to meet Him at the time He chose. I certainly wasn’t seeking Him, I was too preoccupied with practical issues of life. But I am eternally grateful that He acted when He did. He turned my life around and drew me to Him. And life since has been a continuing journey of intimacy, of going deeper with Him. May it continue – into eternity. Praise God!





Holy Dad,

         Again, I simply say: Thank You.
                            With love,
                                     Peter


No comments:

Post a Comment