Wednesday 8 February 2017

Self-righteousness

He also told this parable to some who trusted in themselves that they were righteous and regarded others with contempt.                                                                                        Luke 18.9


The beautiful story of the self-righteous Pharisee and the humble, repentant tax collector is prefaced by this introduction.

It pulled me up short when I read this today. The disease of self-righteousness is widespread and insidious. It creeps into our thinking. We may acknowledge ourselves to be sinners but we might then think or say, “Well, I’m not as sinful as …….”

Sin is akin to pregnancy. No woman can become partially pregnant, or a “little bit pregnant”. Likewise, there is no partial sinner. We may not sin in every area of life, but the slightest small sin brands us – and that is how it is!

There is, however, a remedy, a way forward as the story recounts. The tax collector cries out to God, “God, be merciful to me, a sinner.” God will be merciful. Jesus assures us, “…all who humble themselves will be exalted.” (v14)

I said the early reading “pulled me up short”. What really got my attention was the phrase some who trusted in themselves. I consider myself blessed, because I have stuffed up so many times when I rely on me, that it is not difficult to trust in God. What is a little harder, however, is to remind myself to trust in God IN ALL THINGS! There are still things, many things that I think I can do in my own strength. I don’t say I should stop doing, but simply trust Him in all I do, as I go.





Loving God,

         I know Your way is best for me.
         Teach me to trust You.                   
         Amen.



My book “God Talk” is available through major Internet booksellers.
A taste of the book's content can be seen in the You Tube clip
(Search: Peter Francis - "God Talk").


No comments:

Post a Comment