Wednesday 22 February 2017

Go with God

He said to them, “Then give to the emperor the things that are the emperor’s, and to God the things that are God’s.”                                                                                              Luke 20.25


By this statement I see Jesus make a clear delineation between faith and following God, against the requirements of the state.

There may be times when allegiance to one or the other is clear and easy to pursue. But there may be times when conflict arises between the two. What, then, might the action be?

I think Luke was aware of this possibility. Maybe it even arose for him. In another of his writings he gives a clear answer: but Peter and the apostles answered, “We must obey God rather than any human authority.” (Acts 5.29)

This could pose quite a dilemma for the believer, but the way forward need not be hidden or confusing.

God’s Word assures me that He is always there for me, He will never leave me nor forsake me. I have had enough experience of God’s presence and leading. I have sought Him in circumstances, and been guided by Him. I know that I can turn to Him in any trying situation and seek His aid. And I know that He will lead me, and accompany me.

I recall Stephen’s ordeal where the punishment he receives at human hands came nowhere near the sweet experience of God’s participation with him.

I don’t know if I will ever be tested or tried in this way. I pray that, if I am, I will follow the examples of some of the saints who have already passed this way, and look to God. And then go with God!





Mighty God,

Strengthen me in any testing. Let me remember always that You are there for me, and that You are truly for me. Thank You. I choose to go with You. Hallelujah!          Amen.





My book “God Talk” is available through major Internet booksellers.
A taste of the book's content can be seen in the You Tube clip
(Search: Peter Francis - "God Talk").

No comments:

Post a Comment