Tuesday 14 February 2017

Guest of a sinner

All who saw it began to grumble and said, “He has gone to be the guest of one who is a sinner.”                                                                                                                                       Luke 19.7


I see such irony in this statement. We are told that every person present (All) at the interaction between Jesus and Zacchaeus criticised Jesus for choosing to be the guest of a sinner. What self-righteous pomposity!

As I understand it, all are sinners – without exception. Paul affirms this (Rom. 3.23). So, whoever Jesus chose to visit and eat with would have been a sinner. The crowd do not seem to see this. Because Zacchaeus was a tax collector, and a chief tax collector at that who had likely taken unmerited monies from some of those present, they saw only his sin and branded him. But they overlooked their own weaknesses and failings. However good and upright a person tries to be, they cannot rid themselves of the yoke of sin. But, thank God, Jesus is there to call us down from our tree, whether it be a tree of embarrassment at the truth, or a tree of foolish self-deception. Jesus calls us and sets us free.

I have no delusions about my sinful state. I remind myself of it often, and painfully, through my failings. Yet, however many times I fall, Jesus is willing to pick me up, if I will come to Him in sincere repentance and submission. I do not deserve this. Thank God His love for me is greater than what I deserve. I run to Him and seek His forgiveness, and ongoing direction.





O Holy God,

I feel like a most unholy sinner. I come to You in confession and repentance. Forgive me please. Cleanse me of iniquity and impurity.

Lead me in Your way. Empower me by Your Spirit. Enfold me in truth, and love. Draw me close to You and hold me in the fullness of Your will. Let me know that I can welcome You as a guest at any time. I ask these things in Jesus’ name.              Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment