Wednesday 31 August 2016

From God

“Anyone who resolves to do the will of God will know whether the teaching is from God or whether I am speaking on my own.”                                                           John 7.17


The Jews questioned how Jesus had such learning when He had never been taught. Jesus’ response was that His teaching came from God. Furthermore, anyone resolved to do God’s will would recognise this.

Jesus lived to do the Father’s will. There was no question of self-glory seeking with Him. His mission was to reveal the Father’s glory, and He knows that all those who similarly live to do the Father’s will would recognise the genuineness of His appeal.

This verse reminds me again of the union with Jesus that exists for the true believer. There is a like mind, which of course, makes sense for, as Paul reminds us, we have the mind of Christ. But the union is not limited to the mind and to the intellectual understanding of what Jesus teaches because we share the common intent of living to the Father’s will. The Holy Spirit is also present in this union and communion.

The Spirit complements the mind, but it does more. The mind, however able, will limit me to the natural and the finite. The Spirit releases me, and leads me into the infinite and the supernatural. If I am to truly be one with Jesus and share similar relationships with the Father and the Spirit, then I must embrace the supernatural. I need to look beyond the finite to the infinite wonders there are in Him.





Lord Jesus,

I have a resolve to do God’s will. And, whilst my resolve does not always find fulfilment, I look to join with You in the unity that is offered to me.

I ask for the fullness of the Spirit as You knew it. I seek release into the supernatural and the infinite. I embrace all of Your teachings and ask You to lead me into the fulfilment of Your promises in my life. I give myself wholly to You.                Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment