Saturday 3 September 2016

God in charge

Then they tried to arrest him, but no one laid hands on him, because his hour had not yet come.                                                                                                                     John 7.30


There was much divided opinion as to who Jesus was, and the tension mounts as the gospel unfolds. The religious authorities seem now to be determined in their intention to kill Him. We are told they even tried to arrest Him yet, strangely, no one laid hands on him.

This raises my curiosity. What action might they have taken in trying to arrest Him, if no one laid hands on Him? Yes, my curiosity is stirred, but not to any marked degree, for the reason for this inactivity is clearly given: his hour had not yet come!

In reading this passage today, the confusion of the crowd certainly comes clear to me; the impending injustice soon to be meted out to Him is also flagged. But what impacts me most in the present reading, and especially from the last phrase because his hour had not yet come, is the undeniable fact that God is in charge.

Furthermore, and as a dedicated believer, I am certain that God is always in charge, so long as I acknowledge Him to be thus, and look to Him in any and every circumstance.

Can I live my life under the fullness of His Lordship? I want to. Yet I am conscious of those times when I seem to slip into worldly living, when I operate out of my own abilities and seem to forget my wish to be centred in Him. What can I do about this? Continue to give myself over to Him whenever I am mindful to!





Mighty God,

I desire to live as Jesus calls me to – in the fullness of Your will. I ask You to forgive me those times when I act out of my own resources without reference to You.

I pray that Your Holy Spirit will work in me to keep me focussed on You, and to lead me in the fullness of life in You. I ask this in Jesus’ name.            Amen.





My book “God Talk” is available through major Internet booksellers.
A taste of the book's content can be seen in the You Tube clip
(Search: Peter Francis - "God Talk").




No comments:

Post a Comment