Wednesday 14 September 2016

Anyone without sin...

When they kept on questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, “Let anyone among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her.”           
                                                                                                                       John 8.7

Jesus answered the persistence of the accusers with a declaration that silenced them all. He brings out the truth that Paul repeats in his letter to the Roman church: …for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God. (Rom. 3.23)

As much as I’d like to think otherwise, the truth is that I am a sinner. In fact, everyone is, and there is no one who can legitimately accuse another from a position of his own sinlessness. No one, that is, except Jesus. And He says to me, to us, what He said to the woman that day, “Neither do I condemn you. Go your way, and from now on do not sin again.” (v11)

We hear nothing further of her so we do not know if she remained without sin. My human frailty tells me she likely continued to sin. And Jesus just as likely continued to forgive her as she offered herself to Him in repentance.

I receive two clear messages from this reading today. The first is that I am a sinner, but so is everyone else. I should, therefore, be understanding of this and be ready, always, to forgive. The second is that Jesus is always there to forgive me. I need not be afraid to come to Him, regardless of what I have done. In humility and penitence I can seek His forgiveness, receive His release and continue on my way, free of any condemnation. Hallelujah!





Loving Lord Jesus,

I hear You remind me that I am forgiven by You. I thank You. But You are also entreating me to adopt an attitude of forgiveness towards others. This is not always easy, Lord. I ask Your help. I realise more and more that I cannot live without You. Draw me to You. Strengthen me in You, and let me show Your qualities of love and mercy in my life, in You precious name I ask.                Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment