Monday 12 September 2016

Rebirth

Nicodemus, who had gone to Jesus before, and who was one of them, asked, “Our law does not judge people without first giving them a hearing to find out what they are doing, does it?”                                                                                  John 7.50,51


Nicodemus is an interesting person. He had previously gone to Jesus, under cover of night, to ask about this “new way” that Jesus preached. Here he is sort of standing up for Jesus. At least, he’s making noises about Him getting some sort of hearing. At the end of his gospel, John relates how Nicodemus accompanied Joseph of Arimathea in removing Christ’s body from the cross and anointing it in burial. Something has been happening for Nicodemus. We hear nothing further about him, so we don’t know if he became a true and dedicated believer, nor if he made any more open declaration of faith.

Nicodemus is not alone in his experience. I sense that some people attend church without any real commitment to living in obedience to God as a true follower of Jesus. Indeed, many may not have experienced the birth from above, the spiritual birth of which Jesus spoke to Nicodemus. I pray for such people, that they will experience God’s sovereign move of rebirth, that they will cast off lukewarm-ness, and embrace the fullness of Christ and live in His Spirit.

I pray also for myself, that I may never be ashamed of my faith, that I may live it, to God’s glory.





Holy Father,

The story of Nicodemus intrigues me and causes me to think of those who seem to be nominal in their commitment to You. I pray for these souls, and I ask You to touch them in power. May they know the rebirth that comes from above. May they find themselves on fire for Jesus.

Lord, I pray for the sleeping church. I ask You to wake it up into the fullness of spiritual life.

I ask also for myself, that I may ever live out Your wonderful love and faithfulness in my life.

I ask these things in Jesus’ name.                               Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment