Tuesday 20 September 2016

Consider

Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.   Heb. 12.3

I may never fully understand the opposition that Jesus encountered. At an early stage of His ministry He incurred the displeasure of the religious authorities, the men who had set themselves as arbiters of  God's will and way and who had done so with much smugness, pomp and self-promotion.

In a short time Jesus had become anathema to these pompous, self-righteous prigs. He undermined their hypocrisy with lavish and genuine demonstrations of compassion and a Godly love that was sincere and unconditional.

 The authorities conspired and contrived. They trapped Him with cunning and guile. They convicted Him with false witness. He was humiliated, persecuted and tortured to within a few breaths of death. And then He was ingloriously crucified. Jesus did, indeed, endure much persecution.

I am urged to consider all He experienced with the aim of encouraging and strengthening me. The writer sees my reflection on the life and suffering of Jesus as empowering me and enabling me to not grow weary or to lose heart. I may suffer or be harassed in life, but I doubt anything that I experience will take me close to the sufferings of my Saviour and Lord. Indeed I have said, more than once, "Jesus, at least they haven't yet done to me what they did to You." Let me take strength from my precious Saviour. Hallelujah!





Glorious Lord Jesus,

You suffered greatly, yet You overcame most gloriously. Lead me, Lord. May I reflect, more and more, on Your life and Your teaching. May I draw closer to You, seeing You in everything, and knowing that You are, truly, ever with me. Thank You. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment