Sunday 18 September 2016

The Light

Again Jesus spoke to them, saying, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness but will have the light of life.”                     John 8.12


John begins his gospel with a declaration that Jesus had come into the world as the light of life for all people (John 1.4). Here Jesus is restating this truth, and what a reality it is for those who believe and who will take hold of it.

As I read the Scriptures, the life of Jesus, His teachings and His revelations, I see the light. There are times when I focus on a passage and, suddenly, the light goes on. The light of Jesus shines through the darkness of worldly life and I see more clearly. I am encouraged to go forward in a new way, to keep pursuing that life that can only come from Him.

And today, the truth takes me to a further depth in Him. He says that, as I follow Him, I will never walk in darkness. I see this in my life. There are times when I am aware of the darkness of the world. It beckons and sometimes I am drawn in. But I recognise the darkness, and I know that His desire is that I do not walk there. Instead He calls me out into His light of life. I am grateful.

John tells me that Jesus spoke “again” to the Pharisees. Had He previously spoken to them about walking in the light? Whether He had or not, they take little notice. The account records them ignoring His offer and, in its place, accusing Him of testifying in His own behalf. They have completely missed His revelation because of the pressure of their own agenda. May this not happen to me.





Holy God,

I read again of Jesus’ offer to follow Him and walk in the light. I accept. I pray that I may never walk in darkness. I may wander, but I ask Your Holy Spirit to alert me, and draw me back into the light. I pray also that I will not, at any time, allow my own agenda to conflict with Your way for me. I ask these things in the glorious name of Jesus.                  Amen.





My book “God Talk” is available through major Internet booksellers.
A taste of the book's content can be seen in the You Tube clip
(Search: Peter Francis - "God Talk").

No comments:

Post a Comment