Monday 8 August 2016

Do you want to be made well?

When Jesus saw him lying there and knew that he had been there for a long time, he said to him, “Do you want to be made well?”                                              John 5.6


The man had suffered for thirty-eight years. We’re not told how long he had attended the pool at Bethesda, but his reason for not receiving healing was that no one helped him into the pool when the water was stirred. He had possibly waited a long time.

Jesus’ question is strangely relevant. When an illness is endured for an extended period, it can be difficult to let it go. Sickness brings attendant care, and sympathy. The sick person may be indulged, and be the focus of much attention. The thought of healing might raise the fear of no longer being “special”. The sickness is a familiar state and, therefore, held onto – if not enjoyed even!

I think, then, of sin. You might say sin is very much a way of life. We are born into sin; we live in a world of sin; we are surrounded by sinners. Sin is often automatic, and quite comfortable. Sin is even enjoyable. Sin can make me feel special.

So, how do I respond when Jesus says, “Do you want to be made well? Do you want to be released from your sin? Do you want to live in joy and eternal life with me?”

This gets me thinking about “the other side”. Sin may be enjoyable – at times! But the enjoyment does not last. Remorse quickly sets in, and this can be accompanied by guilt and shame. I know instinctively that this is not Godly. Indeed, I see shame and guilt as two of Satan’s principal weapons. No, ultimately sin is no fun!

But “the other side”!! Here I see freedom and joy. I see a happy Lord, my true companion. He is with me, and enjoying me. His face creases with a smile which bursts forth in joyous laughter. He is fun and He wants to share the fun, the life, and His very Self, with me. How can I refuse? How can I not say:





Yes, yes, precious Lord, I want to be made well. I want to be free of everything that keeps me from the fullness of You. I receive You and Your work of holy redemption. I choose to go Your way. Yes, I want to be made well!


I realise, Lord Jesus, that I cannot heal myself. I do not use this as an excuse but, rather, this is the reality. You are my healer, and my deliverer. I come to You and boldly ask for Your healing touch. I confess my sins, and seek Your forgiveness. I look to that life of joy and energy and completeness in You. Yes, Lord, with You I am complete. Gracious Lord, lead me into the pool, into the water of life, of abundant life in You. You are my all. I come in total surrender. Lead on, please, and journey with me. I choose to travel with You. You are my healer and my life. I love You, and I thank You, as I pray in Your powerful and precious name.                                      Amen



My book “God Talk” is available through major Internet booksellers.
A taste of the book's content can be seen in the You Tube clip
(Search: Peter Francis - "God Talk").

No comments:

Post a Comment