Wednesday 17 August 2016

…as much as they wanted.

Then Jesus took the loaves, and when he had given thanks, he distributed them to those who were seated; so also the fish, as much as they wanted.         John 6.11


The story of the miracle is well known. Jesus feeds a multitude of people, at least five thousand, with the meagre packed lunch of one small boy.

As so often happens when I read God’s Word these days, I’m looking for more insight, or perhaps for something further or special that He wants me to see and know.

Earlier in the narrative, Philip notes, “Six months’ wages would not buy enough bread for each of them to get a little.” (v7) Yet, when Jesus acts, the people get not simply a little, but as much food and nourishment as they want.

I am reminded of the wedding feast at Cana where Jesus turned water into wine. According to John the volume of wine produced was between 120 and 180 gallons. That is a mighty lot of wine.

The two stories convey a principle to me that I see as part of God’s character. His provision is abundant, indeed sometimes overwhelming. In Jesus we will find all that we need, and as much as we want.

Another insight I get from the story is not to look to what I have. If God can feed an immense crowd with two small loaves of bread and five tiddlers, then He can satisfy all of my needs, irrespective of my resources. Let me take hold of this, truly. I pray it will sink into my being and become fundamental to my understanding of God. All that I need, I will find in Him – in abundance.





Mighty God,

I thank You for this present miracle of discovery that all I need will be found in You. I’m slowly learning to look to You in all things. This is how I want to live. I acknowledge You as the source, as my only source. I thank You for each and every provision, for all that You have given and will yet give.                              Amen.





My book “God Talk” is available through major Internet booksellers.
A taste of the book's content can be seen in the You Tube clip
(Search: Peter Francis - "God Talk").

No comments:

Post a Comment