Sunday 14 August 2016

I need You

“I can do nothing on my own. As I hear, I judge; and my judgement is just, because I seek to do not my own will but the will of him who sent me.”                            John 5.30


Jesus affirms the absolute unity He experiences with the Father, and the wonderful partnership they enjoy together. His words, “I can do nothing on my own”, imply that everything He does, every single thing in the whole of His life, is done in the fullest cooperation with, and obedience to, the Father.

Now I know this. I know that He lived the whole of His life to the Father’s will. I know this, of course I do! But today I am moved to really take it into my being and to reflect upon it.

This seems to happen, more and more, as I read the Scriptures. What I have known for most of my life suddenly begs me to stop, ponder it afresh, and take its reality into my understanding and into my life.

I am awakening afresh to the fact that Jesus spent every single second of His life in tune with the Father. How glorious is this! And how inspiring!! Jesus said, “Come, follow me.” I take these words seriously. And I truly want to follow Him. I’m not yet aware of the Father in everything I do, in every single moment of my living. So I have something to aim for, something to live to, and something to pray about.





Gracious God,

I thrill at this reminder of how the Son lived in the fullest communion and harmony with You. I seek to follow His example. I open myself to Your holy leading. I express the desire of my heart to do nothing on my own, but to live every single moment of my life in company and in concert with You. I need You, and so I ask You to be with me. I seek You out, for all time and for each and every time. Hear my cry. Receive my plea, and answer my prayer, in Jesus’ name I ask.                   Amen. 


No comments:

Post a Comment