Sunday 28 August 2016

An offer

“Those who eat my flesh and drink my blood abide in me, and I in them.”            
                                                                                                                John 6.56


I have struggled in the past with this passage and its suggestion of cannibalism. But this comes from my human thinking, and not from God’s divine intent.

What I believe Jesus is offering me here is mutual indwelling, an acceptance of Him as surely as if I had physically taken Him into me. This reality needs to sit in my mind and heart; it needs to grow in me. I therefore seek to open myself up to the fullest revelation of His words and His amazing offer to me.

He is offering me a union with Himself of the order of His union with the Father. I am invited to commune with Him in the deepest, all-embracing, perpetual relationship. This is not simply a Redeemer-redeemed connection. This is God Himself, in all His glory and majesty, justice and mercy, grace and love, abiding in me, consuming me in divine union with Him. I am not my own, I am with Him and in Him, and with Him in me.

Am I ready for this? Am I willing to give over the whole of me into this glorious relationship? I hope so! I will give over the grotty parts of me to His cleansing and release. I will live, not for myself or for any selfish ends, but I will practice the life that is truly in Him.

I will need to remind myself of His constant and continuing presence with me. I am one with the Living God.





Jesus, Precious Lord,

I come to You in all of my taint and incompleteness. I am a sinner, but a sinner redeemed. I want to enter into the fullness of union with You, an ongoing existence of mutual indwelling.

I pray for the presence and guiding of Your Holy Spirit to bring me to that place of constant awareness of You in me and me in You, of who I am in You, and our relationship and life together. Thank You, Lord.                    Amen.




My book “God Talk” is available through major Internet booksellers.
A taste of the book's content can be seen in the You Tube clip
(Search: Peter Francis - "God Talk").



No comments:

Post a Comment